Dr. Simon Zilko
MBBS, FRACS (Ortho), FAOrthA
Dr Simon Zilko is a locally and internationally trained consultant orthopaedic surgeon who specialises in all disorders of the foot and ankle. He is currently the Chairman of the WA Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Society.
Born and raised in Perth, Simon studied medicine and surgery at the University of Western Australia, graduating in 2005. He subsequently undertook his orthopaedic surgery training in Perth, and was awarded Fellowship of both the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons (FRACS) and the Australian Orthopaedic Association (FAOrthA) in 2015.
After receiving his FRACS, he moved overseas with his family for 18 months to undertake further sub-specialist training in foot and ankle surgery in both North America and Europe. He was selected for the prestigious University of Toronto Foot and Ankle Orthopaedic Surgery Fellowship in Canada, and completed further training with leading foot and ankle orthopaedic surgeons in Charlotte and Chicago, USA; Vancouver, Canada; Amsterdam, Netherlands; and London, UK.
Simon has experience with all aspects of foot and ankle orthopaedic surgery, including total ankle joint replacement, ankle and foot fusions, lower limb deformity correction, sports injuries, Achilles tendon and ankle reconstructions, lower limb trauma, ankle and foot key-hole (arthroscopy) and minimally invasive surgery, and forefoot reconstruction (including minimally invasive bunion and claw toe correction).
Public & Private Practice
Simon consults privately at Wexford Medical Centre at St John of God Murdoch as well as Hollywood Private Hospital, and operates at SJOG Murdoch and Bethesda Hospitals. Simon is also committed to the public health system, and is a consultant orthopaedic surgeon at Fremantle Hospital (referrals for Fremantle can be made by your GP through the central referral system).
Medicare & Health Funds
As a medical doctor, all consultation, hospital and surgical services Simon offers are eligible for Medicare and private health fund rebates (with GP referral). (Note that not all people performing foot & ankle surgery have completed medical school and undergone at least five years of further specialist orthopaedic training).
Simon and his wife Nicole have a very energetic seven year old son, Baxter. He enjoys running and cycling to stay fit, and has been known to compete in the odd marathon or Half Ironman triathlon. In his spare time, he loves nothing more than playing with Baxter and the family dog Raphy, and enjoys travel, wine and a nice meal out.
Qualifications and Fellowship Training
- Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS) – University of Western Australia
- Fellowship of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons (FRACS in Orthopaedics)
- Fellowship of the Australian Orthopaedic Association (FAOrthA)
Subspecialty Fellowship Training
- University of Toronto Foot and Ankle Clinical Fellowship; Toronto, Canada
- OrthoCarolina Foot & Ankle Institute; Charlotte, North Carolina
- Illinois Bone & Joint Institute; Chicago, Illinois
- St Paul’s Hospital; Vancouver, Canada
- Academic Medical Centre; Amsterdam, The Netherlands
- Fortius Clinic Foot & Ankle Unit; London, United Kingdom
Simon offers a comprehensive foot and ankle orthopaedic service. Common areas of patient care include:
Ankle and Hindfoot
- Total ankle joint replacement (primary and revision)
- Arthroscopic and minimally invasive surgery for a variety of joint problems including sports injuries, cartilage damage, bone impingement and arthritis
- Arthroscopic ankle and subtalar joint fusion
- Ankle ligament stabilisation and tendon repair/reconstruction
- Hindfoot arthritis and deformity correction
- Achilles tendon repair, reconstruction, or lengthening
- Plantar fascia release
- Bunion (hallux valgus) correction, including minimally invasive
- Claw/hammer toe correction
- Rheumatoid/inflammatory arthritis reconstruction
- 1st MTP (big toe) joint fusion and joint replacement
- Midfoot reconstructions and fusions
Flatfoot and high-arched foot reconstruction
- Tarsal tunnel syndrome and nerve entrapment surgery
- Diabetic foot and Charcot arthropathy reconstruction
- Complex deformity reconstruction for neurological disorders like Charcot-Marie-Tooth, Polio etc.
- Management of all foot and ankle trauma, including fixation of fractures of the ankle, tibial plafond, calcaneum, talus, navicular, Lisfranc complex, metatarsals and toes.
Public Hospital Appointments
- Fremantle Hospital & Health Service
Private Hospital Visiting Rights
- St John of God Hospital, Murdoch
- Bethesda Hospital, Claremont
- Hollywood Private Hospital, Nedlands